![]()
My poor body has taken a beating over the last 6 years with something new going wrong every year it seems. Sometimes I feel like a 24 year old stuck in a 70 year old body. The car accident in January did not help matters and has really put my back and neck through a beating. I had 6 months of physical therapy and adjustments and I was still having severe back and neck pain daily. So the other week my doctor decided that it was time to try something else....steroid injections (no my voice isn't going to go lower and I'm not going to start growing hair on my face). Basically, they inject cortizone (an anti-inflamitory) directly into your muscle. I was in so much pain all the time and ready to try anything. The dr told me to make sure I brought Tyler with me for moral support and I'm so glad I did. The dr gave me 8 injections; 2 in my neck, 4 down along my spine and 2 out by my shoulders. To help lessen the pain, the doctor would freeze my skin before inserting the needle but the poke of going through my skin isn't what hurt it was the needle actually going into my muscle that hurt and then even worse, having the medicine injected. After the needle went through the skin, he would feel around for the knotted muscle and say "nope...nope....oh there it is" and jab it right into the place that hurt the worst. He described the feeling of it as sticking a needle into a rice crispy treat.....eeww. That was one of the few things I heard him say because I just layed there with my face in a pillow trying to block out all of my senses. He did commend me on my bravery and level of pain tolerance. While my knuckles may have been turning white and my face starting to sweat, I didn't make a peep. He told me that he's had grown men with tatoos cry when he gave them the injections but he's had an old woman pretty much fall asleep while he was injecting her....oh great I really am turning into an old woman. But his point was the difference in pain tolerance between men and women. Go Women!! So 45 minutes, 8 injections, sore hands and a sweat stained face later, I was done. I was surprised how much it took out of me. I was pale as a ghost, dizzy and so sore I could barely open a door. That was about 2 weeks ago and I'm feeling soooo much better. I'm still carrying a lot of pain in my shoulders so the possibility of at least 2 more injections is there but it was worth it.
On the other hand, my body and I just had a huge accomplishment in another area. I was able to get off all seizure medication without any problems...yay!!!! I have been free of meds for a month now! It took me a good 3 months to get off of them but I'm so glad I did. My poor little body has been through so much and at times I feel like an old lady but overall, things are looking up!
Sara! I'm so glad the injections have been working for you! But hey at least you're off your meds and you don't look like a 70 year old... yet. I love you!
ReplyDeleteThat does not sound like much fun at all!! I am so sorry! I have heard that steroid injections are some of the most painful things ever! I am glad that they are working though! and being off your pain meds are so awesome!!! Hang in there! We are thinking about you guys!!
ReplyDelete